Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library

The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)
by Valorie Schaefer
Edition: Paperback
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Where Was This Book When I Was Growing Up?, October 7, 2008

The Care & Keeping of You:
The Body Book for Girls

Where was this book when I was growing up? What a great book for girls. As a mother of three girls and a grandmother of four girls, I give thumbs up to The Care & Keeping of You.

I began reading this book with my nine-year-old granddaughter, Autumn. She enjoyed learning about how to brush her hair, and her teeth. She loved the illustrations and the advice. We each took a turn reading. When it came to the chapter about her period, she said, "Please don't make me read that part, right now. I want to read the rest of the book, but I want to wait until I'm around 12 to read that part."

I told her, "Sure, we can wait. But at least you know the book is here, if you need to know about it." She is growing up in a home with a mom and two older sisters, and her mom as already had "the talk" with her.

The chapter about developing is great. All girls don't develop at the same rate. Some are uncomfortable because they aren't developing, while others are unhappily, developing too fast. It tells the girls that they are all different and that they have many other great things about them. They should focus on their smiles, or their talents, not what others think about them. Above all, hold their heads up and keep good posture.

I think a book that answers all the questions a girl will have, growing up, is a great idea. This book also encourages the girls to talk to their mothers or an adult they can trust.

Jill Ammon Vanderwood
Through the Rug
Through The Rug 2 : Follow That Dog (Through the Rug)
Stowaway: The San Francisco Adventures of Sara, the Pineapple Cat

No comments: